There seems to be a buzz around parabens in the beauty world and cosmetic manufacturers are impulsively creating a busy, thriving market with paraben-free products. Before you surrender into this hype, let’s understand what parabens are and why are they bad for your skin? Parabens are a group of chemicals, used in cosmetic and food products. Their purpose is to preserve the products from bacteria, fungus, and mold, which allow your skin care product to survive for months or even years. Commonly used parabens are ethylparaben, propylparaben, methylparaben, and butylparaben. They’ve been in use since 1905 and are inexpensive and effective. Generally, products contain more than one paraben and these are used in combination with other preservatives, for protection against various microorganisms. Parabens are generally found in shampoos, lotions, scrubs and shower cleansers. However, all the products from Pilgrim are parabens free.
Lately, there has been much controversy around the dangers of parabens. This has led people to find products that are organic and paraben-free.
Why are parabens bad?
There are numerous reasons due to which parabens are bad.
– Parabens are absorbed through intact skin and from the gastrointestinal tract. As a result, many skin products that contain parabens cause irritation of the skin. If you have sensitive skin, then the reason could be the presence of parabens in the products that you may be using. A few skin problems like dermatitis, rosacea, and allergic reactions are also associated with parabens. So, it is important that you use parabens and SLS free shampoo like the Pilgrim Sulfate Free Shampoo that soothes the hair and repairs the damage.
– Parabens can also result in negative effects on hormones. Studies show that parabens have the ability to imitate estrogen. This can cause an imbalance in the natural production of hormones and can lead to growth problems. Endocrine disruptors such as parabens can cause an early onset of puberty, which can also lead to testicular enlargement and development of breasts in boys. These chemicals being associated with estrogens is a big issue for women too, as it can lead to cancer.
– The main danger associated with parabens is the risk of breast cancer for women. A lot of recent studies have been conducted to examine the link between parabens and breast cancer. According to a recent report by Cornell University, prolonged exposure to estrogen can lead to breast cancer risk.
The use of products like deodorants and the formation of tumors are correlated. Most deodorants contain parabens and each breast is closest to the armpit, it is seen that most breast cancers develop in the upper outer quadrant of the breast.
– Paraben products can also lead to UV-induced damage to skin cells and reduce the rate of cell growth. Parabens if combined with other estrogenic chemicals, through their estrogenic and genotoxic activities, can influence the development of malignant melanoma.
– Parabens also affect the sperm count and cause problems in reproduction. These affect the secretion of testosterone and the function of the male reproductive system adversely.
– Parabens have a tendency to get stored in the body, which results in a cumulative effect that can damage health over a period of time.
What are the ingredients to look out for?
Parabens are the second most common ingredient used in skincare products and cosmetics. They may cause skin rashes and allergic reactions. These may be used in conditioners, moisturizers, creams, makeup, and nail products. Look for these on the label –
– any name ending in paraben
How to avoid products containing parabens?
– Always check labels
Before you buy any personal or makeup item, make sure to check the labels and all the ingredients to make sure you avoid buying something which isn’t suitable for you or your skin. Also, products are nowadays labeled as paraben-free.
– Know the difference between chemical and Latin names
Do not mistake long names for some ingredient and ignore them. Names of the chemicals may seem similar to Latin names, leading to ignorance.
– Know the pseudonyms
The word paraben may not be mentioned specifically in the list of ingredients but words like “ethyl”, “propyl”, “methyl” and “butyl” are indicators of the paraben family.
– Use alternative products
Look for products that contain ingredients such as phenoxyethanol or ethylhexylglycerin (plant-derived). You can also opt for skincare and haircare products from Pilgrim. All the products from Pilgrim follow a No-Toxic 20 policy. According to this, the products are free of chemicals that can harm your skin and health. Here are the 20 toxic chemicals that you won’t find in any Pilgrim product:
- Sulfates (SLS/SLES)
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Mineral Oil
- Lead and other heavy metals
- 1,4 Dioxane
- Alpha-isomethyl Ionone
- Aminomethyl Propanol
- Benzoyl Peroxide
Pilgrim has a code of creating “Clean Compatible” products. Instead, we use natural ingredients that will improve the balance in your skin or hair.
Sulfate Free Shampoo
Thoughtfully crafted with natures’ best, to bring you the most loving yet thorough care. White Lotus, Argan oil, and Camellia work together to soothe the scalp, strengthen the hair, repair the damaged strands and fights dandruff.